Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have an office next door to a farm. The farmer is

Customer Question

i have an office next door to a farm. The farmer is intending to keep cattle in an adjoining barn and he has stated that the cattle will create noise and smell which will be offensive to the office users and create nuisance. Can I take out an injunction preventing him from keeping cattle in the barn?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you,

Just to be clear the barn is on a farm?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you first give me some indication of my position before I decide or not to talk on the phone. In answer to your question the barn in which the farmer wishes to keep cattle is in his farm yard and the barn is no more than 10 yards from my office building.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

has this ever happened before?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has never kept cattle before.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

On the farm at all or just in the barn?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has often grazed other people's cattle on his land and this has never been a problem. The problem arises if he keeps cattle in his barn because it is very close to my office. he has never kept cattle in the barn before.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Potentially you can get an injunction but I fear a Judge may well say, what did you expect living next to a farm?
You need to complete forms N1:

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf

And N16a:

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n016a-eng.pdf

The Court will list the matter for hearing and decide whether to grant an injunction. If the Court does and the farmer breaks it, this is contempt of Court which he can be warned, fined or sent to prison.