propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

Ivy on a fence in a residential property Assistant: Thank

Customer Question

ivy on a fence in a residential property
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: My mothers house has ivy growing against a fence. The fence is owned by the neighbour. The neighbour wants my Mother to remove the ivy saying that it is causing damage to his fence. Can he make her remove the ivy? The ivy was there when she bought the property 20 years ago and no one has complained in the past
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

I will look into this and respond in the morning.

Can the neighbour prove that the fence is his? it is rarely the case that the deeds identify who has the responsibility for a particular boundary fence.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not sure whether he can prove it is his fence. He says it is his and this has not been disputed to date. What difference does it make?

Rarely the deeds state who has responsibility for the boundary fence. if not, then how can the neighbour establish it is his fence.

How long has the neighbour lived at the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mother has owned her property for 20 years and the ivy was there when she bought the property. The neighbour who is complaining has been in his property for about 6 or 7 years.