Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have been charged with section 20 assault following an

Customer Question

I have been charged with section 20 assault following an incident where my partner was being dragged out a bar by her neck by a large male. I was then dragged out and put in the face of this male who had his fist clenched and I was 100% sure he was about to attack me aswell. i hit him once and ran off.
I stupidly denied hitting him in a police interview and now the case is going to trial. My defence is i acted in self defence. I am petrified about the whole process and would like some help please.
Many thanks in advance
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: They are basically all the details. What else do you need please?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you would like to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi, basically the prosecution witness statements dont match, they all give a differnet account. One says he was bent over, the other says he fell, one says he didnt fall. He says he didnt fall. I have two witnesses hearing him shout hes going to kill me befor ei struck him. I am really worreid about the whole thing. My barrister thinks i may get offered a deal down to a section 47 or affray but unsure til day 1 of the trial. What are the possible outcomes please?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
PS, he did not fall over, he ran after me and his own words in his statement are 'come here you fanny, fight me like a man'

Ok - well that is ok. If you are saying its self defence then it will be down to the CPS to show that it is not reasonable self defence. So if you attacked more than you should have, you continued attacking when he was leaving etc.

You could either be convicted or found not guilty.

If convicted you run the risk of going to custody.

Section 47 would be better, lower sentence.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I only hit him once, i then instantly ran off and had to leave my girlfriend on the floor. I was protecting myself and my girlfriend.
I did not tell the truth in my police interview, will this affect the case?
I am a single father of two, their mother is absent and has been for 8 years, will this help my defence if i was to be found guilty? ie can they give a suspended sentence?