12826847

Evening to you, i am a self employed builder and have a

Customer Question

evening to you,
i am a self employed builder and have a client who is threatening legal action for allegedly poor/substandard work, this is not the case , they are just trying to get money back having over spent , i cannot afford a solicitor to fight this for me , is there any help i can get
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

What is the sum in question please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Evening jo ,
Sorry for the delay ,the sum estimated by a building surveyor they employed is £13,390 they say this is the cost to rectify things they are not happy with and they are trying to use pictures taken using the build and not finished pictures to make the work look bad , it's very unfair
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Ok. Have they given you the opportunity to put the faults right?

Do you deny that there are any faults?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
one fault which concerns some tiling on a small pitched roof we have done twice now , the second time the owner shook my hand and said that he was happy with the work , this was in the presence of the other chaps working with me, but he now denies this converstion and is trying to use old photos to make the work look poor. Also he has had two different trades up on the roof looking at it , damage has been done to a flashing kit around a velux window , that he is now claiming was us. I know this was not the case.
the second area is in relation to some external rendering to the extension. The client would not listen to my advice and demanded that I render on a particular day , I strongly advised against it as the temperature overnight was due to fall below 5 degrees and would have affected the render. As it turns out during the course of rendering we suffered a heavy down poor and strong wind. I did my best to limit and damage with a tarpaulin , when we went back on the Monday we found that the tarpaulin had blown against it and marked it in places. The client demanded that I strip it back to block work and do it all again at my own expense . Initally I refused as I was angry but did relent and offer to have it done again. The client said he had suffered a death in the family over that weekend and would contact me as soon as he could in order that I could return and re do it. The next I heard from him was a letter from a solicitor . There are a few other small issues that he gave to me on a snagging list , nothing major , but he has never given us the opportunity to complete these either. The expert surveyor they have employed is trying to say that the roof structure is of poor standard , this is not the case as this was examined by an independent building inspector employed by the client at the beginning of the build, who checks the building work at key stages to ensure it complies with building regulations and is done to a competent and safe standard . This and all other aspects of the build that is their remit to inspect were inspected and passed before we moved onto the next stage of the build.
I have never denied any of the faults and have always tried to rectify anything the client was not happy with as we have gone along but now he is just out and out lying in relation to the roof and the rendering which are the two main issues.
I even laid a new block paved driveway for them at my own cost, as we had reached the budget and I had agreed this would be done and now he is complaining about that ! Honestly Jo , I just don't know what to do , its making me ill ,
I would be grateful of any help you can give , i'm sorry this was such a long email but apart from my poor wife , I feel that you are the only other one I can talk to about this ,
thanks Tony