LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

My neighbour has cut the top off my tree without permission,

Customer Question

Hello, my neighbour has cut the top off my tree without permission, they have taken advantage of me being away to do so, having already been told by myself that they can only trim off the branches that overhang the boundary wall, in order to cut the tree they have extended a pole with a chainsaw on the end and reached over the boundary wall by 2 meters. I would be very grateful if you could inform me where I stand legally in a claim against them.
Thank you for your help
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.

He had no right to cut anything off your tree except tot eh extent that it overhung his land.

He may have committed the crime of criminal damage, and you could report it to the police. They could investigate and arrest him. They may not be that interested in it though.

You are the victim of civil wrong - an act of trespass- and could possibly bring a civll action to compensate you for the harm you have suffered.

Have you experienced loss of privacy, loss of shade, or the loss of attractive tree. Has your neighbour gained anything eg increased sunlight?

What harm have you suffered loss of privacy, loss of shade, he