Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I work with a company that has equipment issues and treats

Customer Question

I work with a company that has equipment issues and treats staff badly. Some of the things are:
•The potwash is broken so no plates, cutlery or equipment is being serialised properly.
•The hot water is only works half the day so as the potwash is broken they clean dishes in cold water which is giving lots of complaints from customers.
•I wasn't able to go to the hospital as one of the managers wanted to get a suit and finish early and the otherone wanted to decorate the restaurant so I had to walk just so I could make it to the hospital.
•I have been underpaid for 5 months, an equal of 200 to 300 pound, when I inquired about it they said if I spoke to anyone about it I would get fired and took 2 months to give the money back to me.
•Made me work 11 days straight 10 am till 6pm whilst the managers had 2 to 3 days off.
•They have given disaplinary and report cards to staff for money missing out of the tills and not rotating stock even if they wasn't in that day.
•The management team speak to us staff in a disgraceful manner. E.G you're awful at your job and should leave.
•One of the managers hides in the kitchen area and making the staff deal with refunds and complaints even though they want to speak to the manager. They will even stay in the office throughout lunch rush leaving the staff struggle and understaffed.
I don't know wether I could sue against the company for mistreating staff and how they are running the company, because I am struggling going into work being treated so badly and working under unsanitary circumstances. We have had many complaints off customers but the managers are trying to hide their own faults and covering themselves.
Abbie Fuller
Expert:  Jenny replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you Jenny, I have worked there for about 6 to 7 months and the problems started from the first month I started.
Expert:  Jenny replied 10 months ago.

Hello Abbie, what a dreadful way to be treated.

Normally with under 2 years service you have very limited employment law rights as there is no right to claim unfair dismissal until you have been employed for 2 years. However given that some of the issues you raise are health and safety concerns I would suggest you raise written grievance, if matters do not improve then you have it on record.

If you are dismissed for raising a complaint regarding health and safety issues then you are protected at law and the normal rule for 2 years service does not apply.

I would therefore suggest your first step be to raise a grievance. All the best with it and do come back to me in the future if you need to.

If you have any further questions please do ask.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay thank you for the advice, I will write them a letter today and see what they say about it. Thank you!
Expert:  Jenny replied 10 months ago.

No problem please do remember to rate my answer before leaving the site, I will be happy to answer your follow on questions.