12826847

8 months ago I was working for a company doing handyman work

Customer Question

Hello, 8 months ago I was working for a company doing handyman work ( full time for 4 years ) and accidentally damaged a carpet. Suddenly a month ago ( after leving 3 months ago ) I received and invoice for £468 pounds. I think i was miss classified as a subcontractor when I was really an employee and surely the company should be liable and claim from insurance rather than chase me all this time later when nothing at the time was mentioned?
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: A project manager at the time said not to worry so it cam as a bit of a shock when 8 months down the line i get an invoice , especially since ive moved on already. They have passed it to a debt collector ( today ) despite me asking them for time to seek advice
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Was there anything in your contract to say you would be personally liable for such things?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says " to take full responsibility for work or installations on specific properties performed by subcontractor " which i think is unlawfull given the fact i think i was a disguised employee and it was a self serving agreement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?