How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2902
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Does my child's Primary school have the right to release

Customer Question

Does my child's Primary school have the right to release personal information to a 3rd party corporate company without parental permission? And is an "Independent Investigation" truly independent when only both parties haven't been consulted?
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This relates to my child's Primary School admitting my child was being systematically bullied over a 12 month period. We received documentation and verbal confirmation from the head teacher, confirming the bullying and the schools failure to follow correct procedure, which 3 months later (today) has now been retracted, due to the 2 x bullies parents and school governors involving an independent corporate company to 'investigate". We did not give our permission for any of our daughters details to be passed to this company. We were contacted by the independent company but were on holiday at the time so did not respond, and are now presented with a "fait acccompli". The letter states that our child was not bullied, and that the school adhered to the anti bullying policies. The 2 alleged bullies have since left the school and now attend a different primary school.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Could you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What additional information do you need? A complete background?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 5 months ago.

What is it you want to achieve?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I want to understand the UK Law in relation to schools releasing information without parental permission. I also want to understand how an independent investigation can be independent when only one of the party was consulted.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 5 months ago.

All information is stored under the Data Protection Act 1998.

Therefore all data must be secure and safe. They need permission of the parents before releasing any data to third parties. Either in terms of asking or in any terms of contract.

If they did not get permission then there is a breach of the DPA.Therefore you can complain to the Information commissioner who can investigate and prosecute where necessary.

They offer a free, independent service at:

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
this wouldn't be covered by RIPA 2000?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 5 months ago.

Data Protection Act breach. Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 is intended for other matters.

Does that clarify?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice