12826847

I'm vat registered company, for VAT registration applied

Customer Question

Hello, I'm vat registered company, for VAT registration applied recently and got my VAT number backdated since the day the company was actually established. At that time I worked for a local company as a subcontractor, letting them know that I'm planning to apply for VAT, so they were well informed about my plans and until I got my certificate of VAT registration, I invoiced them just for my regular weekly wages excluding VAT. I quit a job with that company and recently got a letter with my VAT registration number so I invoiced my ex-employer to pay my VAT back for all the period I worked for them as I will get the bill shortly to pay tax myself. But my ex-employer refuse to pay, ignores my letters and invoices completely. I asked for advice around but neither my accountant or other drivers sub-contractors ever heard of a nonpayment of VAT from employer, as that the law. So the question is- what to do? It's not a big amount -only just above 1,700 GBP but still I will need it to pay! It's not like I'm asking for some treat, it's legal money that is needed to be accounted and paid for the government. I suspect some fraudulent accounts going on in this company, therefore ex-employer tries to escape any payment. I need a letter from the solicitor to my ex-employer explaining my rights to get VAT back and what's happens if the law is breached.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Is there any reason why they wont pay the sums due?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Jamie, just chatted with my ex employer now and he promissed to pay before 15th of december when he will get his vat back himself. So i presume its ok for now. Thanks