12826847

I have been accused of hitting a car in a car park, i did

Customer Question

I have been accused of hitting a car in a car park, i did not hit the car and told my insurance company that I did not hit the car. I parked at 11am and the other car owner knocked on our office door around 6pm and accused me of hitting his car. I have told my insurance company very clearly that I did not hit his car but they sent out someone to check my car and are claiming that one of the many scuffs on my car could be as a result of our cars coming into contact so they want to pay his claim. There are no witness' and the man was quite aggressive in his approach. I really did not hit his car, I think he hit mine by starting his car in gear but there was no evident damage to either car. He is now claiming that his sun roof doesnt work as a result of the alleged accident. Can my insurance company just decided to pay out even though I say I didnt do it and there is no proof that I did
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

How can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can my insurance company pay the claim and reduce my no claims bonus when I have done nothing but park in my works car park
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Yes. In short.

Your insurance company are liable on your behalf. If they choose to settle that is a matter for them and their risk management.

They are free to reduce your no claims bonus though either way because there has been a claim. It is not a no blame bonus. It is a no claim bonus.

They might well have chosen to settle because it is not worth the cost of defending a claim of this kind rather than that they take the view it is overwhelming.