29905560

I would like to know my daughters legal rights in respect of

Customer Question

Hi - I would like to know my daughters legal rights in respect of a jeweller who managed to damage her engagement ring by cleaning it incorrectly (he thought it was platinum rather than white gold). The ring has now had the white gold stripped off in part due to this incompetence.
The jeweller wants to send the ring away for repair having accepted liability. However the damage is done - my daughter wants a replacement ring and I would like to know if she has a case for forcing them to claim on their public liability insurance.
Pete Beglan
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

How long ago did this occur?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
yesterday they offered to clean the ring whilst my daughter was looking at wedding rings
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
not sure whether I am replying correctly as I haven't had a response for 1/2 an hour
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Apologies for the delay and thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for your patience. When someone has entered into a contract for work, where the main focus is labour and skill, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession);

If there are problems with the standard of work, or any of the above, you will have certain rights:

1. The trader should either redo the parts of the service which are inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to you. This must be done within a reasonable time and without causing you significant inconvenience.

2. If redoing the work is impossible or cannot be done within a reasonable time or without causing significant inconvenience, you can claim a price reduction. The price reduction would depend on how severe the issues are and could be as much as the full cost of the work.

I the ring can be repaired without affecting its quality or appearance they should be allowed to do that. However, if a repair is not possible or will not provide the desired results a replacement can be requested. So it really depends on what is possible with a repair.

Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss the steps that must be followed if a resolution cannot be reached. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 29 days ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 28 days ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.