12826847

My son has been charged with a motoring offence of "Driving

Customer Question

My son has been charged with a motoring offence of "Driving without due car and attention"
He ran in to the back of another car at a traffic light in May 2017. He accepted liability at the scene, exchanged insurance details and the insurance company dealt with the damages.
On Friday of last week, out of the blue, he received a court summons.
He can plead guilty by post, guilty at court, or not guilty.
He intends to plead guilty, but thinks it may be better to attend court to plead guilty rather than by post.He would like to state to the court that although he was responsible, he was looking ahead all the time and just mis-judged the intention of the car in front. He slowed down to avoid the collision, but mis-judged the speed.
He accepts that he misjudged the traffic light situation, but was looking at the road ahead and did slow down before the collision.
He was having counselling for a stress related situation at the time.
Should he plead guilty by post or in court?
Would he be better to have a solicitor represent him? (He is 23 and has no court room experience)
Will his penalty be greater if he attends court?
He has disposable income (after rent, car costs) of £ 569.00 per month. Can he seeks legal aid?
Thankyou
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

How can I help with this please?