12826847

I am a tenant and have a licence to occupy with my charity.

Customer Question

I am a tenant and have a licence to occupy with my charity. This has resulted in business rates relief of 100 percent saving the landlord 60k per year. We now have heads of terms and a full lease drawn and negotiated between our lawyers. I am operating and have tenants and am fitting out ready for launch. All areas have been agreed and statutory compliance is being assessed. The landlord now says they don't want us in and I suspect they have found another Tenant paying more rent. Total investment to date on the project is c 100k including legals. The property is essential to the project and I would welcome thoughts about part performance, are we bound and also does estoppel apply? Thanks. Paul
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 8 months ago.

What advice have you been given by your current solicitor?

What are the terms of the licence?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. The terms are basically 10-year, 3-year breaks, FRI and sub-leasing through licence to occupy. My solicitor has been engaged and has negotiated / drafted both HOT and lease. I wanted to understand the general position and options open to me before I engage him formally to look at this angle. At the moment I am not 100% sure this is about to happen but simply have suspicions hence why I would like to know the potential options open to me. Thanks. Paul