12826847

Please, I want to know what is the duration of protection of

Customer Question

Please, I want to know what is the duration of protection of a copyrighted work owned by a corporation.
The work is a Bible translation made by various translators that was contracted to do the translation following guidelines from the company and supervision of the coordinator of the project of the company. The copyright is the property of the company.
I have checked the UK law and it is not clear.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 8 months ago.

Can you please define how the work was done by “various translators”?

Are those translators still alive?

Did the company by the intellectual property from them?

As much background detail as possible is really useful please. Thank you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I only want to know if the United Kingdom IP Law considers a duration of copyright from the first publication when the Work is owned by a corporation. Translators were contracted for the service. It was a service contract. Translators don't make the translation by themselves, they have to follow instructions and guidelines of translations from the organization, and a supervisor and editor can change the translation.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Why I have to pay more if you have not answered my question?

The message you get offering a telephone call is an automated service. I have no control over that. You do not have to take into. Is purely optional.

To answer your question:

It is not relevant who owns the work. What is relevant is the date of death of the author.

If a person creates a work as part of their employment, the intellectual property in the work belongs to the employer unless there is an agreement to the contrary.

If a person creates a work as part of a sub contract, then the IP in the work belongs to the individual in the absence of any agreement to the contrary.

Hence, in your situation, each of the translated pieces would belong to the individual if there was no agreement that the IP was passed onto the corporation.

Regardless, the effective date for copyright purposes is the date of death of the creator even though the IP may have been passed on to the corporation.

Here it is from the government website

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/ownership-of-copyright-works

can I clarify anything for you?