13262538

I am buying a property for my daughter who has left a

Customer Question

I am buying a property for my daughter who has left a controlling and coercive marriage. I am contributing about 85% of the purchase price with the remAinderby being covered by a small mortgage in my daughters name. I need to protect my investment fromantic a predictable asset stripping divorce and intended to use a deed of trust. The mortgage company want me to sign a gifting letter gifting the money to my daughter. I believe title to the money would transfer to her by signing the letter and render her vulnerable. They say I can do the deed of trust later in proceedings. This doesn't sound right or safe to me. Can you advise please
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

I understand your concerns but this is not an unusual situation and you will not be compromising yourself by writing this letter.

You can instruct a different solicitor to draw up the Declaration of Trust which can then be signed and dated the day of completion.

This will ensure that no claim can be made on the capital that you are investing

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou Clarence, that's put my mind at rest.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome - and I hope that the divorce is less traumatic than you fear