29905560

Can a company stop money off your final invoice if you are

Customer Question

Can a company stop money off your final invoice if you are working for them self employed for mistakes made by other engineers but because he says you was there to supervise them I'm billing you costs for mistakes but paid all other self employed engineers there money in full.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

So did you have a contract with a company and then you employed the engineers directly?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No I had no contract with the company and I did not supply any labour to them it was all there own blokes.. Do I get charged for every message that I send?

No you do not, it is a one off fee. Was it specifically agreed that you would supervise them and you would be liable for any issues caused by them?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No nothing was ever agreed that I would be responsible for any issues caused by his workers.

And are these engineers self employed too?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
they were all self employed and he stopped all our tax.

It would not be legal for the employer to withhold money from your invoice for issues caused by others, especially if they were not employed by you or you had no legal responsibility for them. They may have been working under your supervision but they are self employed and will have responsibility for their own actions. This is especially true if there was no contract or agreement making you liable for any such issues. It could have bee possible to make you liable if it was specifically agreed at the outset so that you knew you were taking this on before you decided on whether to accept the work.

In the circumstances you can pursue the employer for the money owed and if they wanted to make anyone liable it would be the engineers who were responsible for these issues.

Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss the steps you can follow in order to take this further if they refuse to pay. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.