F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I was abroad and built a house. I left the country over 6

Customer Question

I was abroad and built a house. I left the country over 6 years ago. Recently i have had letters saying i owe 48000 to a company in germany but the letters i recieve arw from the uk this is for the house built. The house has been sold so i am informed. I have had no contact or dealings with them since i left the country in july 2010 and i have also not contacted the uk companies. Where do i stand as i have no idea what this is for or about.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have had no phone calls or have i contacted any of the uk companies about this.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thank you for your reply. I am happy to wait for a response. Just to add to my original question. When i left germany i was informed that the house was returned back to the bank and then sold. I do not know why i am recieving these letters. I have no paperwork from the house or any of the loans that went with it. Also the letters i have recieved have been returned to sender or put in the bin.. i await your response. Once again thanks for your help.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

I will try to help you with this. Are you saying that this organisation in Germany, claim that you owe them £40,000, have an office in the UK but you have no idea whatsoever who they are?

What is the name of this organisation and what is the name of the bank you borrowed the money off to build the house?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The name of the bank is the hansieatic bank. And i dont think they have any offices in the uk. The first people to contact me was some eos company and then some law firm. I have no paperwork at all from the bank referance the morgage i had or have i been contacted by them. Ive had no phone calls or contact with any person about this and its now been over 6 and a half years since i left. Sorry to be a bit vague. Thanks Lee
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also not that it makes any differance its 48k in euros and when i took the morgage out with them i didnt understand or read german, so i had my ex wife with me to help translate. And since i left germany i have had no contact from germany at all apart from my two daughters.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

If you borrowed money from the bank and that was secured by a mortgage, then the limitation period under the Limitation Act is 12 years from the last time you made a payment.

You may have handed the keys to the house to the lender and they may have sold the property but it was sold as a loss (£40,000?) And less than you owed to the bank, they are still entitled to come after you for the balance.

Whether they will do that with you living abroad or not I have no idea.

You say that you don’t know what this is about but it does seem apparent that you know that it’s about the house stop with the information you now have from me above, does that explain things?

Please rate the service positive. It’s the process by which experts get paid.

The thread remains open after rating.

We can still exchange emails after rating.

Best wishes.

FES