12826847

Can you help? In 2007 I applied for POA for my mother. I

Customer Question

Can you help? In 2007 I applied for POA for my mother. I thought POA was granted but have since discovered the solicitor in question has no record of the form only her will.
Since then she has been diagnosed with Vascular dementia and is lucid in the moment and understands what is going on but with no short term memory. I have to have POA to change her house insurance as she is now in care. What is your advice? I have made an appointment with a solicitor locally for next week.
Cn you help?
Barbara
Expert:  F E Smith replied 8 months ago.

Have you done a search at the Office of the Public Guardian to see whether this was ever actually applied for or not or, do you know from the solicitor that they never made the application?

Does your mother still have any mental capacity or not? Would a medical practitioner who is familiar with her say that she has the mental capacity to grant you Power of Attorney over her affairs?