F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I let a person who I thought was my friend put some money in

Customer Question

I let a person who I thought was my friend put some money in my account from someone else for them. I gave the person the money then found out it was fraud... I tried to tell the bank it wasn't me but they didn't care and blocked my name so now I cannot get a uk high street bank account. which sucks because I have to ask my mum to pay everything for me. this happened when I was 16 now I'm 21 and still suffering.... any help???
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any kind of criminal conviction in respect of this?

May we have the background to what actually happened please?

Have you tried every bank?

Have you tried the Co-op?

What is it that you want to know about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no criminal convictions
-I let someone put money in my online banking, I with drew the money and gave them...then after my card got swallowed by the ATM, called the bank was told I committed fraud and I cannot get a bank account anywhere
-tried Lloyds got turned down for a basic account and NatWest
-no I will try and let you know but I doubt it
-I want to know how I can clear my name and get a bank card
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

I suggest that you do this a bit at a time. Start by getting the bank account. Will probably find that Co-op ask less questions and have a much quicker process than anyone else. I have clients with criminal convictions and IVAs bankrupt who have managed to get accounts with Co-op. They don’t have an overdraft and if the account goes one penny overdrawn, they will bounce the payment and charge for it. It’s a start.

There are also credit card companies for people with bad credit history such as Vanquis. You would not want to use the card as anything other than a fully paid off monthly card where you are paying no interest because the interest rate is astronomical but what you do need is to slowly build up the credit history.

If none of this works, then it’s simply a case of biding your time because it will eventually drop off the bank radar.

Please rate the service positive. It’s the process by which experts get paid.

The thread remains open after rating.

We can still exchange emails after rating.

Best wishes.

FES

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got declined by co op, there is no high street bank account I can get it's hopeless
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, I am unable to help further. It seems that you have exhausted all the avenues open to you. Even a court application would fail because even the courts cannot compel an organisation to deal with someone who they do not want to deal with. Best wishes.