How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask F E Smith Your Own Question

F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9183
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I split from my x for more than 16 months, we have a

Customer Question

I split from my x for more than 16 months, we have a daughter and he is not contributing yet he wants to see her.
Our relationship ended because he was abusive and even spent 2 months in the mental hospital as he wanted to jump from a bridge
What do I need to do to stop him legally from contacting me and contacting his daughter ?
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 7 months ago.

Do you mean that you want to stop him having contact altogether? How old is the child? When did he last have contact with the child? Was violence reported to the police?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I only reported one physical abuse as it only happened but verbal abuse started since I got pregnant, my daughter is now 3 years old, and yes I want to stop him seeing my daughter forever
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
he only had a sudden desire in seeing his daughter in the last 2 months and started heavily texting me
Expert:  F E Smith replied 7 months ago.

I’m afraid that unless you can prove to the satisfaction of the court that there is going to be something detrimental to your daughter’s welfare and seeing her father, the chances of you stopping contact are going to be slim.

The courts believe that children should grow up knowing both parents and hence, it is unlikely to disallow contact.

If there is something untoward whereby the child’s welfare may be at risk, the court is more likely to award supervised contact at a contact centre than disallow it altogether.

If he continues to pester you, that is harassment and you can refer the matter to the police with a view to having him warned under the Protection from Harassment Act. You can apply to court for a non-molestation order to stopping calling you or coming within 100 m of you except to ring you to arrange child contact.

He is then going to have to apply for a Child Arrangement Order to formalise the arrangements.

I’m sorry, I know it’s not the answer you wanted by and large.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please rate the service positive. It is the process by which experts get paid.

The thread remains open. We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes. FES.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions