12826847

We have been leaseholders in the same house for the past 4

Customer Question

We have been leaseholders in the same house for the past 4 years, our rent is paid by standing order, and according to the agents, we are ideal tenants with a 'lazy landlord'. Our rent has been increased a very year, since we moved in, but repairs have not been attended to. The agents tell us the landlord prefers to use his own workmen and not theirs. We have repairs outstanding, eg. Blown double glazing panels and a crack in the kitchen ceiling, to mention just a couple.. Where do we stand on this issue, we are a married couple aged 82 and 80 respectfully, ***** ***** enough to still enjoy a lovely home.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 8 months ago.

When you say you are leaseholders, please confirm that you are not on any kind of Assured Shorthold Tenancy or any Assured Tenancy or Rent Act Tenancy and that you are leaseholders who actually own the lease of a freehold property and that it is the freeholder landlord which is problematical. From what you say, I don’t think that’s the case because I think you mean you are tenants not leaseholders. Please confirm.