12826847

Is it legal in the UK for Greek restaurants to break plates

Customer Question

Is it legal in the UK for Greek restaurants to break plates as part of their entertainment?
If so, should the plate be unglazed and if they are not, do the restaurant need a special licence?
The tradition of plate breaking was banned in Greece and the Greek islands including Cyprus in 1969, therefore I am concerned this is a H&S risk.
My daughter has been seriously injured by a flying shard of glass/glaze from a plate at a Greek restaurant, so I looking to seek advice as to what I can do to stop this restaurant from continuing this practice, which is a major risk to the customers. This tradition died many years ago and has become a money making spin on an old tradition.
Please let me know if there is anything I can do to take this matter further.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Did you ever seek compensation?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did not seek compensation
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This incident happened on Friday so I am seeking advice to see if I can take matters further, my daughter was nearly blinded by the breaking of plate which were glazed but should be unglazed as far as I am aware...?!