How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69359
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Didn't pay speed camera fine on time so now it is with

Customer Question

Didn't pay speed camera fine on time so now it is with procurator fiscal court appearance 28th Nov 16. I did send back driver information on time. New paperwork cites an old fine from Jan 2016 I think (paid and endorsed) as evidence.
I would like to just clear this up and pay fine without appearing in court. Can this be done? And how so?
Since this non paid fine... new road works average speed cameras picked up 2 more tickets - Very bad year is an understatement. These are not mentioned in above evidence of non paid fine. Also not sent back driver details to start process yet.
I calculate potentially12 points in total on licence. major issue is I need licence to work - could I lose my licence/job?
What do I do to fix this and keep licence/job and not have to appear I court?
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Note: held licence for 21 years past odd fine but clean licence till this year.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 17 days ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Evening Nicola,
Yes if you could keep searching, I don't mind continuing to wait.Thank you .
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 17 days ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Jo C. replied 17 days ago.

Sorry for the delay.

I'm not sure what your question is. You can plead guilty by post. That will lead to a fine and points but you don't have to appear in court.

If you are asking whether or not you can take this matter back to the issue of the fixed penalty though then you cannot do that I'm afraid.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I was initially keen to simply not have to attend court and settle in whatever way was available to me just now. However the problem is the ticket for which I have received this court date, is only the first speed camera ticket of 3 that I have now received in a space of two months. I have only just returned the drivers details for the last 2 tickets yesterday thus haven't received my conditional offers yet.
My major concern is tallying all the potential points comes to a total of 12 including 3 points that already exist on my licence - which if I remember correctly is an automatic ban.I'm looking for advice about how best to proceed with these. Is there some way that a ban can be avoided? My licence is vital for my employment.I am the bread winner of my household. I cannot afford to lose my job, and default on our mortgage when I have a 3yr old dependent child.It has been suggested to plead guilty which would allow more time for outcomes to the last 2 tickets to materialise then deal with all 3 tickets in court.Pleading not guilty does not feel right to me... However that this the best approach?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 17 days ago.

If this will knock you over the 12 points then the only way to avoid a ban is to attend court and argue exceptional hardship applies.

That does mean that you have to have the defence though.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 17 days ago.

Job loss can be the basis of an application although it is not usually enough basically because most people can do their job without driving.

You have to prove that it is not possible to do your job without driving. Taxi drivers would be covered. Those who just find it more convenient to drive would not.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
My job provides a home based service for the vulnerable elderly/disabled... At times I need to be able to attend site asap if there is a potential hazard/emergency to the client. Having a licence was also an essential requirement by employer for my position. Just to add to the mess, there are also other issues at work just now that this might tip the balance towards me losing my job. Do these circumstances bear any weight at all?In terms of hardship, what would the parameters be?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 16 days ago.

Why can't you do that by public transport?

Or taxi?

Remember this is exceptional hardship not just inconvenience or expense.

It might well be that you do have an application but you need to show that you will suffer exceptional hardship and you have the burden of proof.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice