Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I want to take a garage to the Small Claims Court for

Customer Question

I want to take a garage to the Small Claims Court for damages caused to my car. The car is a taxi and therefore my livelyhood.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Could you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I put my taxi into Reagan's garage because I had yellow warning lights and a red danger/stop flashing light on the dashboard. Steve Reagan told me it was a computer glitch and to ignore the red danger/stop warning sign. After about a month my taxi was in the garage getting other work done, and I mentioned again about the red warning sign. Again, I was told it was a computer glitch and the car was safe to drive, and to trust him! Eventually the car came to a grinding halt. I managed to get it to the garage and Steve Reagan said he would investigate. Later that afternoon he told me that my turbo had gone, because the oil pressure was low and that was what the red warning sign had been indicating all along - that the oil pressure was low. Steve Reagan said he wanted to investigate why the oil pressure was low, but it would cost "thousands upon thousands" according to him. I asked why he had allowed me to drive despite the red warning light, but he wouldn't answer.
I got the car taken to another garage for inspection and they told me the car was a write off, and that I should NOT have been driving with the red warning sign. I still have HP on the car as it's only 3 years old, with 100,000 miles on the clock. I had to purchase another engine, which cost £1,300 plus £700 for fitting, etc. There was also loss of work, as this is my taxi. I'm claiming £3,500 from Steve Reagan, He won't accept responsibility, but has offered £250 because he felt sorry for me!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are you still dealing with my question, or have I not done something right, and you need something else from me
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Should I have pressed the Accept this Offer. I thought that was for a telephone chat. Please reply as I'm not sure if you are still there and dealing with my question. To be honest I'm a bit confused at what I'm supposed to do. Help.

You need to write to the Garage and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.