29905560

After 2 months of living at university believing I had been

Customer Question

After 2 months of living at university believing I had been paying for my accommodation I received an email stating that I had an amount of £2,617.14 overdue for my flat on campus. After following up on this, I had discovered that the business STURENTS.COM had been charging me for a flat in Canterbury that I had no knowledge of.
Upon calling STURENTS.COM and explaining the situation whilst requesting a full refund as was advised to me by the Accommodation Student Accounts Controller at my university i was told there was nothing I could do and my only option was to collect the keys and move in. I immediately called my bank asking what i could do and they raised an investigation that same day. Upon waking up in the morning I was pleasantly surprised to see the funds return into my account and paid my rent and thought it would be the end of it...
Last night I was called by the manager of the STURENTS.COM office in Canterbury and told he 'will have no other option but to commence our debt collection procedures which may lead to legal action'. He then proceeded to state that my tenancy agreement has been 'digitally signed by you and your Guarantor - Mrs Olena Omisore. Both you and Mrs Omisore have also provided a proof of ID and Mrs Omisore also provided a proof of address.'
Is there anything I can do?
Kind regards, *****
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 24 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 24 days ago.

Was your student accommodation sought via this company STURENTS.COM?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No, STURENTS.COM has no association with my university accommodation
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 19 days ago.

Thank you. The issue here really is what you had agreed to and whether you were properly informed that you were signing up to a flat in Canterbury, rather than the student accommodation you were living in. That is all a question of fact – it depends on what information was provided to you, what documentation you signed, what you were being told you were signing up to and so on. It would therefore have to come down to checking all the relevant documents and seeing what you had agreed to rent and pay for. If all the documentation shows that you had agreed to rent the flat in Canterbury then you may not necessarily be able to challenge this. However, if there was a clear misunderstanding based on what you were promised and eventually asked to sign, then you could potentially challenge these fees.

At the moment the ball is in their court. They can commence debt collection proceedings but to be honest these cannot force you to do anything – all they will do is contact you and request repayment, or threaten to take it further. After that they can take it to court if they wanted to and if they do then you will have the chance to defend the claim. There is however no guarantee that they will ever go that far as sometimes they give up if debt collection is unsuccessful.

Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss your legal right should they decide to go to court. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.