Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

A solicitors office has acted for me on purchasing a

Customer Question

A solicitors office has acted for me on purchasing a property. They carried out all legal matters to convert the property into 2 self contained flats and forwarded the 2 separate titles tome.
I've given them a deposit to commence the above matter and a full settlement when it was completed.This was a few months ago.
I now need to mortgage the properties and the lenders solicitors demand to endorse there interest on the 2 titles through there solicitors with Land registry.
I've asked my solicitors for a quote on leazin with the lenders solicitors for this as they hold the file.
Their quote was unacceptable and I found another firm of solicitors who wou Cary out this work at a much lower charge.
I requested for the file for the work involved on completing the legal work so that I can hand it to the new solicitors to be told that it would take some time for them to forward them as they need to be requested from the store and being such a big file they would need to pay someone between 3 to4 hours work for copying so that they can have copies.
They quoted £675.00 plus vat to forward the files to me for the work which I've already payed for.
Do they have the right to do this and if so to charge this excessive amount for getting someone to undertake the copying for them.
Please advice me.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi, the Lenders Solicitors should only need to see the Leases for the 2 Flats, and copies of each of the Leasehold titles and the Freehold title, all of which should be held electronically at the Land Registry. Likewise, all these documents should have been provided to you by your Solicitor after he had completed the work for you (free of charge!). The Lenders Solicitor should certainly not need the whole of your old file. Have you checked with the Lenders Solicitor as to exactly what they need to see? Kind Regards Al

Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 12 months ago.

Hi, can I assist you any further? Al