Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My house was repossessed in 2010 while I was living abroad.

Customer Question

My house was repossessed in 2010 while I was living abroad. When I returned to the UK in 2012 I did a credit search but nothing appeared. I finally tracked it down in 2014 and the debt to my astonishment was £145,000 and was with a solicitors. They told me that had I not contacted them then the debt would be written off after 10 years.
I am unable to pay this debt and not sure whether to go Bankrupt to get it out the way so it doesn't com back to bite me later. Or is there a time frame in which they can no longer chase you for the money.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Under the Limitation Act 1980 they have 12 years to chase the money, then it is written off

But is is 12 years.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.