Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

I am charged with online grooming (led by a vigilante group)

Customer Question

I am charged with online grooming (led by a vigilante group) and I have entered "not guilty" plea at magistrate court - as I did not believe the person anyone young. PTPH was scheduled on 21st November (Monday), and today I am informed that my hearing adjourned to 28th November, as prosecution requested its to be adjourned for a week due to "issues with the case". I have not given any details.
I like to get your views, why would prosecution requested 1 week adjournment? Is it because they are re-considering their decision? Likely considering to be dropped? Or worse?
Please let me know your thoughts.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

How old did you believe the person to be?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
20+
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did write in the chat that I did not believe who you are saying and I believe you are much older. It is written few times in chats.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

How old did she claim to be?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
13
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

Right. Did she say that she was older later?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Btw, I just want to understand why "prosecution" requested adjournment of plea hearing for a week and claimed that there are issues with the case.I like to understand what's the reasons behind it! What could happen?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

It is very unlikely they would drop this I’m afraid.

You might well be acquitted at trial. That is a different point. But the chances that CPS would not prosecute this are minimal. Sexual offences are pursued to the fullest extent permitted by law at the moment which is the real reason the conviction rate is low.

Probably the ‘issues’ they refer to is just that they haven’t completed evidence gathering. CPS are remarkably disorganised.

If they do discontinue this then that is wonderful but don’t rely on it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am confused, because they have already disclosed the evidence they are relying on to charge me. They have already disclosed evidences on magistrate hearing date, which I have entered "not guilty" plea.So you are saying they are still trying to gather evidence, which there is nothing more than what they have disclosed already.If they are still trying to gather evidence, then their current evidence is not good enough to get for conviction. Isn't it?I cannot just believe that at this stage they are still try to gather evidence.Can you elaborate on this please?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

Oh they always do that.

They might well have enough to charge. They may or may not have enough for a conviction. It depends.

It doesn't mean they can't gather more. They will be trying.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What a "JUSTICE" system! UNBELIEVABLE!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

Well, there can be unfairness but this isn’t an instance of it.

There is no particular unfairness in the Crown gathering further evidence as the defence are free to do.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 9 months ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Please cancel