Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I borrowed a friends van (commercial vehicle) thinking I was

Customer Question

I borrowed a friends van (commercial vehicle) thinking I was insured on my own fully comprehensive multi-car policy with admiral. I hit another car causing damage to their vehicle. I gave the details of the accident to my insurance company and they said my policy only covers concent borrowed cars and not commercial vehicles and said they would not pay for the claim. My friends van is insured fully comprehensive for him to drive. Who will have to pay for the repairs? Will I be prosecuted for driving uninsured? Also can the persons I hit claim injuries against me i.e Whiplash? The person I hit has not yet reported the claim to my insurance company or made contact with me since the event. which was now a week ago. Is there a timeframe in which they have to claim? Also foolishly i did not take their details, so have no way of contacting them. I would like to know where i stand legally with all of the above.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Have the Police been involved at all please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, not on my part and they were not present after the accident.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Ok. If you were not insured then you would be personally liable for the repairs and damage,

Yes if it possible that the person could make a personal injury claim.

There is no timeframe as such which a person has to report it - but there may be a requirement in the policy terms.

But if you were not insured then you would be personally liable.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.