Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

What are the consequences if a us citizen stays in the UK

Customer Question

what are the consequences if a us citizen stays in the UK for 7 months?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I put in the wrong email address.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I should ask, 7 or 8 months?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was able to change my email address to the correct one.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what are the options for staying in the UK for 7 or 8 months
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 8 months ago.

1. Dear KY Lee, if a US citizen stays in the UK without a working visa for longer than six months, then they will constitute an "overstayer" and will be liable to deportation. Essentially, a holiday or tourist visa only allows a US national to remain in the UK for six months. Once the US citizen is there are 7 or 8 months, then they are liable to deportation. Accordingly, if you wish to stay 7 or 8 months in the Uk you should seek to get a working visa which allows you to live and work in the UK longer than six months. However, be aware that once you are longer than six months in the UK you will be expected to make a tax return and to pay tax in the UK on any earnings you might have made whilst working. Be aware that if you overstay longer than six months, you are liable to get banned from the UK for 10 years for overstaying.

2. Please Accept or Rate the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.