How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3587
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

How do I prepare and serve a writ of mandamus on Lewisham

Customer Question

how do I prepare and serve a writ of mandamus on Lewisham council to force them to carry out their legal responsibilities in the removal of abandoned vehicles
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
In short, it is an injunction you want - to force them to do something?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am getting the impression the remuneration you are asking for is not consistant with my needs and I am not satisfied with your response. Please refund my deposit.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 months ago.

Some people prefer to speak over the telephone to get a quick answer. But we can keep this online and I can give you the legal answer.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Your response that I need an injunction is not valid you can only prevent an action with an injunction. You are wasting my time this discussion is over.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 months ago.

Sadly you are mistaken. An injunction is for a prohibitive or mandatory purpose. a writ of mandamus is not suitable for this as they are not commonly used.

You need to seek a mandatory injunction - ie to make the Council do something. This is the proper course of action.

You would need to complete forms N208:

And N16a:

The Court would then set the matter down for a hearing and decide whether or not to make the order to force them.

If the Court does and they refuse this is contempt of Court and the Chief Officer could be warned, fined or sent to prison.

You can also consider a Judicial Review of their refusal. This is where a High Court Judge considers the complaint and sees whether they have acted legally and reasonable.

A Court can either agree with their decision or ask them to reconsider.

For more information on that process please see:

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions