How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask F E Smith Your Own Question

F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9185
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

My husband is holding letter of adminstration letter of his

Customer Question

My husband is holding letter of adminstration letter of his mothers estate. The property and business was bought by my husband in about 40 years. For business and immgration reasons my husband put his father name on freehold property. When his father died in 2004 he adviced solictors to put property in his mothers name. whole family lived in the property and worked in the business. All the expences were taken out the business - which was making minimal profit. My husband orchastaor the business and my husband was forced to loan the money and he was only person worked out side and put money in the business.
All along there was verble agreement between my husband and mother that the effectively property belong to my husband. my husband had beficial interest all long. Two of the siblings are changelling and want share of the estate. Can you please tell me how strong his case. thank you
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 7 months ago.

What proof does your husband have that he bought the property and the business 40 years ago?

You say “for business and immigration reasons”. Please explain.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
completion statement of business and property, organising loan agreement with vendor. They came from kenya so his father and sister wanted to prove that they invested in business in this country. So it became easyer to for his sister to stay in uk with family.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 7 months ago.

If your husband has proof that he paid all the money in respect of the purchase of the property the business and that no money came from anywhere else, and that proof is sufficient to satisfy a court (if it got that far) then there is no claim to be made by the other two siblings.

My suggestion would be to send them a copy of the initial purchase documentation telling them that whilst the property may have belonged on paper to his mother and father, they did not provide the purchase monies and hence held the property on trust for your husband.

The claimants may be able to argue that the father and mother held the initial purchase price on trust plus any increase in value attributable to property rises but if mother and father promoted the business, that they would be entitled to some of that goodwill.

However, if husband is the administrator of the estate and he is not inclined to let them have anything, they’re going to have to take him to court and the court will have to decide the issue.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

Best wishes.


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions