12826847

I work for severn Trent water as a meter reader!..we work an

Customer Question

Hi, I work for severn Trent water as a meter reader!..we work an odd system! working 8.9 hrs a day but only paid for 7.4 hrs a day!...then we take time off in march and sept for the hrs we don't get paid for in Lieu!...we get 185 hrs a year annual leave which has always been calculated 185 divide by 7.4 =25 days leave! we are being told that as we work 8.9 hrs a day though as I say we only get paid for 7.4 a day they will be calculating our leave 185 hrs divide by 8.9 hrs so we will loose 4 days per year leave!..though 1.5hrs per day is taken time in Lieu!...they are going to amend our contracts to this affect. Seems wrong, but can they do that? Also the same grade of workers in other Depts get paid overtime as time and a half!...is tis not in equivalent?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

How long have you been working for them and has this been the way your anual leave has been worked out since you began?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Ben 4 1/2 years, always been the same!
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Hi there and thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Just to check are you getting paid for the time you take in lieu?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
we work 8.9hrs but get paid for 7.4 hrs, ..the 1.5 hrs overtime per day gets paid in lieu time we take in march and sept
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I could provide you with a copy of my contract?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

If you could please that would be helpful

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Will send after work!
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The contract says March and Sept are rest periods but that is time in lieu and is payed for by us working 1.5 hrs extra every day. So every month we only take home the pay for 7.4 hrs..but they are calculating our leave on 8.9
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Hi there, I am very sorry I have been called away on a family mater and will not be available for the next few days at least. I will open this question up to all other experts to see if anyone else can help. Please do not reply in the meantime as it will just assign it back to me and you will experience a delay. Thank you

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 10 days ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
that's ok
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 8 days ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 7 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
please
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 6 days ago.
Which would you like me to do?