13262538

My family member privately rents a flat. They have no

Customer Question

Hi, my family member privately rents a flat. They have no savings and struggle to pay all their outgoings every month. If they lose their job (which may happen soon), what will happen to them with regards ***** *****? Where can they go for help? They are male, aged 40, with one child they currently do not see. As a family, we cannot afford to keep bailing them out of trouble.
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my nest to help you but I need some further information first

Which part of the Uk is he in?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Essex
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Brentwood
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

has he checked his eligibility for housing benefit?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, but he's currently working. He's had terrible lack of control over money all his life. No matter what he earns, he is always out of money before the next pay day. We've tried time and again to sit down and work out his income and how to cover his outgoings, but it seems pointless. I believe he needs mental help, but he denies it. It worries me what will happen if we all leave him to it. Where his 'rock bottom' may lead. Any advice?
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

He can check what benefits he is entitled to here

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

If he looses his job he will get help with his rent so it need not be the responsibility of the family.

Please ask if you need other details

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thank you.
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

You are most welcome

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Am I allowed to ask another question about a different issue please?
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

You can ask but site policy is that you may need to ask a separate question.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If a stay at home mum to 2 children was to divorce her husband for unreasonable behaviour. Could she stay in the family home with no income of her own? What would she be entitled to financially? Thanks.
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

That would need a second quetsion I am afraid - there is a lot of detail involved