12826847

Small claims defence Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide

Customer Question

small claims defence
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: My gambling addict ex partner wants some money back which he gave me 11 years ago. I say it was a gift he says it was a loan. There is no written agreement. Will I have to give it to him?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How much did he give you at the time?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He gave me £4600 to carry on paying in to an investment plan that Id been persuaded to take on. I had just come back from teaching overseas on and off for nine years. We were already in a relationship. A couple of years previously he had offered to give me about £20000 if I would stay home. It was some compensation he was expecting. I refused and went . So when I came home I thought he could afford to give me it. I didn't know he was an addicted gambler.
Altogether I paid in 16 000 and lost nearly half of it in the crash.

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I thought he was helping me out and I has helped him out whenI let him live rent free in my house before we lived together, when I was away. I didn't expect him to pay me back and I didn't expect to pay him back.
I suppose there was an implied agreement that we would both benefit from my saving e.g. in retirement, but i didn't know wthat he was an addict and since then every penny has gone on gambling and he got into huge debts, which he'd pay off with the next chunk of money he was expecting e.g. His mother's inheritance,his retirement lump sum
No doubt he's run out of gambling money now and I am his next source of money.
He's not destitute he has three pensions.
I'm still working after retirement age, trying to build up some retirement money.
He wants me to hand over some of this after all he put me through with his lies and gambling. Since I left him three years ago I also found out that he'd been seeing my so-called bst friend while he was living in my house, but Imknow this is irrelevant.
The fact remains there is no written agreement, just a verbal agreeemnt made when Imwas not in possession on the facts (his gambling)