How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3632
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I recently discovered from the DVLA that I have been charged

Customer Question

I recently discovered from the DVLA that I have been charged with not providing details of who was driving a hire car which was caught by speed camera doing 35 in a 30 zone in Cumbria.
I called the courthouse in Cumbria and discovered that all correspondence has been sent to my old address. Thus, because of this I am now in a position where I face 6 points added to my license and a £600 fine. I'm losing sleep over this because for one I drive a lot for work and two, we simply cannot afford that kind of money.
I have been advised to fill out a 'statutory declaration' and send it to the court in Cumbria. I called a couple of lawyers in Cumbria and they wanted over £1,000 to handle the case. One suggested that I send the statutory declaration myself, which is what I would like to do.
If I was pictured going over the speed limit that's fair enough, I will freely accept the 3 points and fine, I have no wish to contest this. But 6 points and £600 seems excessive since I knew nothing about it.
I would be most grateful if you could advise me on where I could find a statutory declaration template.
Thanks, David
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 months ago.

Hello David my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Have you asked the courthouse yet to send you the stat Dec form?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Jamie,No. I'll do that now. Once I get the form though, do I need to get a solicitor to send it back to them?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 months ago.

No, you just fill it out and send it to court. It will be listed for a hearing and the judge will decide whether to grant it.

If the judge does then the conviction and points go. The matter may then start again but may not.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi,I'm sorry but this hasn't quite answered my question.I contacted the court in Cumbria and they told me I had to contact my local court in Glasgow, who would be able to provide a stat dec for me and get it signed by a jop. Basically I contacted you because I need clarification because Ive now been told to contact the Cumbria court to get the stat dec, but also been told to contact my local court to get the stat dec.Can you please clarify.Regards,David
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 months ago.

If they can do it locally then thats great. But usually it is the Court centre which you were convicted it would have to be done.

That is the usual process, but if they can do it close to you, far better.

They may have a different listing arrangement locally that the usual procedure.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi,Sorry but unfortunately this doesnt clarify. I've now spoken to both courts and both are telling me that I have to get a stat dec from each other.The exact words from the Glasgow court were: "It's not our case so they can't declare anything." I can get it signed by the justice of the peace there however.It feels like Im even further away now?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 months ago.

Yes I said it is the Court centre which you would have been convicted at, if you look at my post on 29/11/16.

I said your local Court may do it, but its usually the Court centre where it was dealt with.

Does that assist?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice