12826847

I am a freeholder and leaseholder along with 3 other flats.

Customer Question

i am a freeholder and leaseholder along with 3 other flats. There is now a dispute over damage to my flat - since external repairs and not having a maintenance plan have never been minuted or acknowledged. Leaking from the external stairs and damaged DPC have led to several areas of my flat being water damaged. I had to pay for the report and insurers said due to lack of maintenance and workmanship there was no claim.
There was an informal meeting to say there would now be a maintenance plan be any internal work would not be considered. Last year i had damp in the back of the flat which was due to water lying on surface etc which again i had to pay for reports and replastering. Never acknowledged. I need advice on where i stand legally if this continuing.
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 7 months ago.

Do you still require assistance with this?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i have put my question as above. we are all leaseholders in a house but also own the freehold as a housing association. There has been very little maintenance on the building carried out as mentioned in my question. I need to know how to protect myself as this may continue. Our insurance agent has told me i cannot insure myself against damage from my own freehold (housing association)therefore it seems to me i am always going to be liable for damage caused to my flat if maintenance is not carried out.