Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Am I liable for my Mother's medical expenses in Texas? My

Customer Question

Am I liable for my Mother's medical expenses in Texas?
My mother is in hospital in Texas, we've had word that she's very unwell and may not live much longer. I haven't had contact with her in about 18 years but I feel I should go over to see her if she indeed dying. However, if i present myself at the hospital to visit, am i then liable for any medical costs (or care after if she pulls through)as per Texas law. As I said, I don't really know the woman anymore, I want to do the decent thing by visiting her if possible but I don't want it to end up costing me thousands of dollars because i turned up to visit.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

No.

You are not liable for someone else's debts, UNLESS you have agreed (ie named on a contract) or agreed to act as a guarantor.

If you have not, then no, you are not liable.