How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask F E Smith Your Own Question

F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8564
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

My neighbour has built a fence on the borner of land that is

Customer Question

My neighbour has built a fence on the borner of land that is being disputed.
| |___________<--Original Fence<__HIS GARDEN I have photos of fence
| | |<-Wall MY GARDEN
| | AREA \
| | | <-- MY LARGE DOOR to get nto my garden
| | /
| | |
| |___________ <_NEW FENCE touching my house
The disputed area is about the size of 2 parking spaces. The title deed of the disputed area has red as being his boundary after my land was split into 2 to form 2 separate properties. However, myself the owner of the 'my house' used it exclusively in the past before the new owners erected a wall in 2007. I have been away for a number of years to come back to seeing this new fence and gate erected. My house had been heavily vandalised so I have been concentrating on that,k but I realise due to legal time constraints i need to look at how to resolve the fence issue.
Please can you advise me what is my right, and what is the process to follow (i presume there's a land registriy process to follow). and what do you think my rights are of 1) access, and 2) removing the fence back to his original fence, 3) getting the land registry boundary redrawn.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 13 days ago.

In order for the neighbour to claim the piece of land which they have fenced off, they have to have occupied it without consent and without objection and not in secret for more than 10 years if it is registered at the land Registry.

What you need to do now is write to them (or better still get a solicitor to write to them) telling them to put the fence back in its original position failing which will make an application to court to make them do it.

They are going to have to prove to the land tribunal (if it gets that far) that they have the necessary period of occupation.

If this fence now restrict your access you can threaten an emergency application for an injunction to make them give you access pending the resolution of the boundary dispute.

If you simply remove the fence they could potentially go to the police and claim criminal damage. Some police forces will investigate and others will say it’s a civil matter so removing the fence is not a route that it’s probably a good idea following.

If you want to get the land registry boundary corrected (you don’t say how long it’s been in this position) then you need to either agree with the neighbour or make an application to court to have the boundary determined by a judge. In support of the application you are going to need expert testimony from a boundary surveyor.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.


Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I think the land registry boundary has been in existence for many years, I think as long as 50 or so years (Does this make a difference?).. However, its ludicrous to have the boundary there because of my large wide green door is there. Also in a regular basis I have to have scaffolding around the property which has to go into this disputed area to work on the house (roof work, guttering work painting, and re rendering). although I own the driveway all the way up to their property (they have permission and I have a 'moyen', which I think entitles me to claim from them for the repair of the road? and i can access my house form all other areas, i have a green door and entrance to the back part of the garden from this disputed area. The neighbour tried to block it up the other day and i told him no, that is a door, i'm allowed to work through as much as i like through that door. i have been excercising my right through the door every few days. My email is***@******.***, my phone number is ***** Please categorise what I should do. ? And could you do a letter. ?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 12 days ago.

If the boundary on the land registry plan has been there for 50 years but the reality on the ground is somewhat different, then the 10 year rule applies and it would be necessary for you to apply to have the piece of land which is shown on the plan as belonging to the neighbour, registered as yours.

We can’t write letters on letterhead we can give you the wording of letters for you to write. You might want to do is write your own letter, letters have the details, and we can suggest changes.

If you can attach a plan with some explanatory notes, the situation would become clearer.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi i'm trying to get the plan or photo to show you to get a final answer on my question. sorry but yesterday I had to go to hospital. I apparently have a wisdom tooth pushing out my molar and I was the previous night yesterday and lsat night in an amazing amount of pain. I'll get home tonight and get the photo on to here to finish the question. Mike.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 days ago.

That sounds painful. When you are ready is fine.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Apologies hopefully this will be the last call here... . my apologies for not getting back to you but i had to find the info and also get back to work. i own haylings, and the other person owns the longhouse. the disputeddoor.jpg is a picture from 2007 when there was no gate on and fence on the right side next to my house and is matcing their exact permiter as in the lonnghouse.jpeg. infortunately it is touching my house and as you can see in the disputeddoor.jpg the green door goes through to my back garden. thre is no door at the moment, just a straight open space. please advise me what my chances are and process. If it requires you to be more involved please say so. Thankyou. Michael:***********
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
finally my letter to the owner of the long house ( a councillor ) ...
Expert:  F E Smith replied 3 days ago.

We would appear to have been getting there but I can’t see where the original fence is or where the new fence is. On the letter you sent the neighbour says that “For clarification the area of this is marked in Purple” although there is nothing marked in purple on the thumbnail sketches. You also refer to a purple rectangle which is similarly not shown on the sketches.

It would be useful if on those sketches you marked the original fence, the gate and the new fence.

Customer: replied 10 hours ago.
I am editing a photo to give an outline. we can then talk about the letter, i'm happy for a telephone conversation for this.
i understand you are helping a lot with this. i should have the additional photo by end of tomorrow.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions