12826847

What can I charge my tenants for damaged/badly soiled

Customer Question

Hi there, What can I charge my tenants for damaged/badly soiled carpets? We did up this property to a high standard ie: Professionally painted throughout, brand new carpets fitted, new kitchen ect... When they left after 2 years and 9 months I was disappointed in the condition of which they left the 3 bedroom house. Crayon marks all over the walls, Purples and red painted walls, very dirty I am certain that they never as much washed a window, But most of all the brand new carpet was filthy, some of the carpet in various rooms had really bad spills that could not come out by just cleaning. In one of the rooms it looked like red paint or ink had been spilt... They had permission by us to keep a dog (never again) and the smell on the carpet was terrible. We have now put down brand new carpets and would like to know what per centage can we deduct from the deposit? The tenant thinks we are being petty! Many thanks Gisela
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

Hello Gisela my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much are you looking to deduct and how old are the carpets?