Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Mother in law just gone into care home. Her house is jointly

Mother in law just gone into care home. Her house is jointly owned 50 percent by her and 50 percent by her two daughters. Can they be made to sell it to pay for the care home when her cash runs out in two years time?
Expert:  Harris replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Who is now living in the property and how old are they?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nobody is living in there now. Daughters are 69 and 62
Expert:  Harris replied 6 months ago.

Thank you. As they are joint owners and are both over 60 the home will not be taken into account when assessing your mother's financial means.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris, Law Specialist
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Expert:  Clare replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a solicitor for more than 35 years.

I am afraid that the answer given is incorrect.

Since neither daughter is living in the property permanently then yes the Local Authority can and will call for the property to be sold if they are called upon to help with payments.

Age Uk have an excellent fact sheet here

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/care-homes/the-means-test-and-your-property/

I am sorry