12826847

A son who is living in our house who is violent, verbally

A son who is living in our house who is violent, verbally abusive, pays no keep, I believe is on drugs and lays in bed all day. I want him out of my house, how do I do it
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

Has he paid any rent?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, I have asked for rent but won't pay it. He also works for our Company although we are shortly closing it. He has always been late and is currently not going to work
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

But has he ever paid anything at all?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I need to know if I can get rid of him legally
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

Yes, so has he ever paid anything?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Years ago I think he may have given me some money but never regularly or recently
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

Ok. Was that specifically for the cost of living there though?

Or for something else?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is this still within the £38?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

What?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are these questions still within the £38 I paid?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

Yes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thanks for clarification. As I say he has never paid regular amounts of money, Any money he did pay would have been a token amount towards his keep to live in my house, i.e. food, electricity etc. There is no formal arrangement and as I say he hasn't paid me anything since he returned living with us 3 months ago. He moved out with a girlfriend for a short spell but returned home on 3.10.2016. Problems ever since
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

Ok. He is a lodger then rather than just a guest. He may very well be a bad lodger but that is a different matter.

You can still evict him but you need to give him notice.

He is entitled to at least 14 days written notice and it would probably be safer to give him 28.

The good news is though that if he doesn't go at the end of that time period you don't need a court order. You can just wait until he leaves the house and change the locks after him.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Does a Solicitor have to write a letter or do we just write one? I presume if he becomes abusive you just call the Police?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

No, you can do it. An email or text is fine too although I would print it off and attach it to his door and take photographs just for safety.

Yes, if he misbehaves cal the police.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/