29905560

Used an online service where they had a free 14 day trial, I

Used an online service where they had a free 14 day trial, I cancelled with them by emailing (as stated on their website) canceled my payment method, they suspended my account after the trial cause they couldn't take payment and now they are claiming that I didn't cancel and I need to pay for a service I cannot access and canceled. They are a German based company and I'm in the UK
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Do you have copies of the cancellation email you sent that you can use if necessary?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ive spoken to them on the phone, they have asked me to send them proof of the email so i just forwared it on to them and they replied
Unfortunately you have sent your cancellation to the wrong e-mail-address. For cancellation***@******.*** is the correct recipient.
However, as a gesture of goodwill I am willing to cut some off our costs and offer you a reduced settlement fee of 115.00 EUR (=GBP 97.51).
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
but since i couldn't use the service after the trial cause they suspended it then it seems wrong them demanding money

Did they specify in the terms an email to be used for cancellation?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when your logged onto their website you click cancel account and it takes you through 3 pages trying to convice you to pay, afterwards they say ring a number to cancel (which no one answers on) or send an email since no email address was present i looked it up and found that email address for them

If they simply stated you must cancel by email and did not provide a dedicated cancellation email, you should be able to argue that you have cancelled as per their terms because you did after all send an email to one of their recognised email addresses.

Also they did indeed cut off your services at the start which meant you could not use them and whilst that may not automatically exonerate you for the full amount, it would at least give you a good chance to argue a discount.

Finally, they are a German company, you are a UK individual. To force you to pay anything they have to take you to court and win. The amount is a rather low £100. Considering the complexities involved in cross-country claims, I very much doubt they will ever go as far as suing you over this. They may pursue you now and make threats but in reality these mean nothing because only with a formal court judgment in their favour can they force you to pay anything. Even if they make a claim you would have reasonable grounds to argue you are not liable, or that the total amount should be reduced.

You can stick to your guns and refuse to pay and let them take this further if they want to, which as mentioned in reality is unlikely.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'