F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

We are a business who signed a contract with an Advertising

Customer Question

We are a business who signed a contract with an Advertising company and we are wanting to cancel this but they said its in there T&C that we cant cancel as contract has been signed
Expert:  F E Smith replied 8 months ago.

May we have the full background detail on what it is that you want to know about this please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How can we get out of contract as they say we are legally bound hawse signed it
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can you help me please
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
contacted you yesterday regarding cancelling contract with advertising company but my husband isn't sure if the letter will work as it says on top of contract that it cannot be cancelled.

Of course it says on the top of the contract that it can’t be cancelled.

However if you simply don’t pay them, they will take you to court potentially.

We discussed this at length on the telephone.

What I have suggested and works 9 times out of 10 is that you avoid going to court in the first place by paying them a much smaller amount of money which they will hopefully accept rather than have the trouble to go to court.

It would be a windfall for them to have £250 for actually doing nothing!

Nothing is ever guaranteed to work. I can only tell you that my experience is that this technique is effective far more times than not.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok That's fine. Last email from them last eve was that he was passing the account over to Credit Management Company who deal with debt, contracts and legal issues.
So I'm going to send the letter and cheque today

That is exactly what I would expect. Let’s face it, you are no worse off by sending the letter and the cheque. The worst that can happen is that they send it back.

If they cash it and still take you to court, you have the letter as your defence and you could ask the court to award costs against them on the basis that any future claim is completely unreasonable.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, Thank you

No worries