29905560

We have been asked to make hourly check calls, are they the

We have been asked to make hourly check calls , are they the responsibility of the employer or employee , should it be them calling us or vice versa ?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 months ago.
Hello what are these checks for?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They are to check on our safety , I work for a security company and they are introducing this for lone night shifts and have said that they will fine us if we dont make hourly check calls , they say it is for safety reasons, i thought it is their responsibility as a duty of care from employer to employee

Hi there, sorry I was offline by the time you had replied. There is nothing specific in law which deals with this and states who should be taking the initiative to make such calls. The employer does have a duty under law to ensure the health and safety of its workers but that does not mean that every action that deals with discharging this duty has to be taken by them. They have a responsibility to have procedure or policies with this, but that could mean that they introduce a policy where you are required to call them as in this case. They have discharged their duty to try and ensure your health and safety by having this procedure in place, but it can require you to call them rather than the other way round. So in reality, what they are doing would be allowed especially as there is nothing in law which says that they cannot do so.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you