F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I currently have ajoint mortgage with my husband. I ran into

Customer Question

I currently have ajoint mortgage with my husband.
I ran into debt which afected my credit rating.
My husbandnow tells me that I can no longer be on the mortgage but more importantly
the Deeds.
I put down the inital deposit of £120K and he has been paying mortgage since then
which was September 2013.
I have been told I haveto come off mortgageand deeds but a legal friend says thisis not true
I need very urgent advice on this.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 5 months ago.

I have never yet, ever heard of a lender removing someone from a mortgage (once they are on the mortgage) because they have later on got a bad credit rating. Similarly, the deeds.

In that respect, I could not agree more with your friend.

It is the situation you may not be able to get a mortgage but as from being removed, I cannot see that being correct. I am prepared proven wrong and there is a first time for everything so I would want to see the letter from the lender that says this AND I would want to verify the authenticity of that letter by speaking to the lender myself.

I’m sorry to have to tell you this but I think that you are being misled.

One other point, and that is that even if you weren’t on the mortgage or the deeds, you can simply register a Matrimonial Home Right notice which would stop the property being sold or remortgaged without your consent.

My suggestion is not to do anything and not to sign anything.

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. Then press Submit. Thank you.

Best wishes.

FES.