29905560

Someone stole the content of my tweet and claimed it as his

Someone stole the content of my tweet and claimed it as his own on all social media outlets. What can I do?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Please can you provide some more information on the content and how and when exactly you believe it was stolen?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I wrote an original joke on Twitter and a celebrity reporter re-wrote it on his own page 5 minutes later.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
he copied it to all his social media outlets
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have screenshots of both tweets with the time stamp

First of all to claim any sort of legal right over this content you will need to show that it was an original literary creation by you, something which can clearly be attributed to you only and which had that degree of originality. This can be tough to do and to be honest only a court can determine if that was the case. I would be surprised if they courts find this to be a protectable piece of literary work though. Assuming you can, then you can try and claim copyright over it. This means that it should not be used or copied without your consent. The issue is what you can do about it – are you realistically going to go to court to ask for a formal injunction to prevent the other person from using it? They have already shared it so it may be a bit too late for that. Are you going to seek damages for their breach? Any damages are likely to be minimal as you have not suffered any losses from this – I presume you are not a professional joke creator who is clearly losing an income by having others use your jokes? So the damages you are likely to get are certainly not going to be worth making a formal court claim for. So legally, there is little that can be done and the best is to try and report this to Twitter or directly approach the person and ask them to remove the offending tweet.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you