31090051

A company has terminated my contract as a producer of an

Customer Question

A company has terminated my contract as a producer of an event and they want access to all the manuals, documents contracts etc that I wrote in my position as an independent producer in order for me to manage the event. I believe that my work is protected under UK copyright law and that the 'client' has no right to request the documents or to use or copy them in any way? My contract with them makes no reference to relinqusihing/transfering ownership. I have offered to give advice and guidance to help the event continue but not to hand over my IP.
Derek
Expert:  JGM replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for your question, Derek. I am a solicitor in Scotland. I understand from what you say that you are not employed by this company, that you were a contractor and that you were being paid on a fee basis. That being the case, in the absence of a contractual provision to the contrary, you hold the copyright in your materials. The only grey area would be if they have paid you for these documents as part of the contract. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you ***** am an independent producer. I had a contract to produce an event for 4 years, which has been prematurely cancelled after just 2 years. My contract merely states that I am appointed as producer of the event and nothing more specific. However the client is taking legal advice presumably with a view to challenging my position.
derek
Expert:  JGM replied 6 months ago.

A contract as producer of an event is just that. They aren't entitled to your working papers or anything else.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok thanks
derek
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
last question
they paid me a settlement fee by way of compensation approx 8 k. In return i said i would help with advice and guidance to the new producer, but i dont beleive that extends to providing all my manuals, contracts etc?
Expert:  JGM replied 6 months ago.

Reading that in isolation. Advice and guidance doesn't extend to providing paperwork. Unless there is anything in writing by way of an exit agreement