How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Harris Your Own Question

Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2646
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have been divorced since 2013 and both children reside

Customer Question

I have been divorced since 2013 and both children reside with me, see there father once a week.
He took them on holiday last year and refuses to give me there passports- and keeps making excuses, i have booked a holiday for me and my children for this year as he pronised to return the passports however again refuses! What rights do i have- should i report them stolen? should i go to a family law solicitor to write to him? he is also saying i need his consent to take them on holiday??
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm how old the children are and if there are any court orders in relation to the children - if so what orders are in place?

Expert:  Clare replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a solicitor for more than 35 years.

Regardless of the age of the children the position is that you do indeed need his permission or an order from the court to take the children out of the Uk even on holiday (just as he needs yours).

Equally you are entitled to have the passports to allow you to take them abroad - and since they spend more time with you than their father it is reasonable that in general you should hold them.

You cannot report them as stolen since you know where they are!.

Your starting point is to write a polite letter informing him that you wish to take the chidlren on holiday - giving the basic details and asking him to confirm his permission and provide the passports within 14 days. Say that i view of his past behaviour a promise to provide the passports just before the holiday will not be good enough

If he refuses or does not reply the you need to attend a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting with a local Family Mediator.,uk

Of mediation is not successful then you can apply to the court for a Specific issue Order confirming the holiday - and forcing your ex to hand over the passports

This is done using a Form C100 and paying the fee of £215

You need to be applying in early June is you wish the matter to be resolved in time!

Please ask if you need further details

Expert:  Harris replied 1 month ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating. You will not be charged for providing a rating.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice