Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have received a letter from Miah Solicitors about a

I have received a letter from Miah Solicitors about a parking charge notice. I had a disabled badge displayed in a normal car parking slot. I have ignored all the letters so far, but now having had this letter, wondered what my best course of action is. I certainly don't want to pay it.
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: I parked in a car park and displayed a disabled badge. I got there at around 7.20pm and left around 9.10pm. I had a ticket put on my window - which I subsequently threw away, but checked first and it was one of those car parking tickets that are not enforceable. I feel the letter is threatening and all the words on it make you want to pay - they are talking about 'considering legal proceedings' unless I pay
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 months ago.

Hello Miah my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Did you ever appeal the ticket?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I didn't. I checked various website and read that this was not enforceable as it wasn't a 'proper' parking ticket. Shame I didn't keep the ticket.
Other forums I was told just to ignore it as by writing you accept responsibility that you were the driver.
My name is Kathryn. The solicitors that have written to me are 'The Miah Solicitors'.
Thanks very much
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not want to switch to live call, I would just like a prompt response please. So you answer quickly at first and then hold out the response hoping I would pay more money? Bit disappointing. May not be the case but feels like it. I guess I am going to have to wait 24 hours now for you to come back.

Sorry I was just in Court. What date roughly was the fine?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was parked in the card park on 19 January 2017.

Ok - you can still contest this by writing to them.

They can then either accept it or issue proceedings in the small claims Court.

If they do that you can go before a Judge and explain the situation.

A judge can then decide whether the ticket was right.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I thought that this type of car parking ticket was not legal and they couldn't take you to court and all they do is threaten you to try and make you pay. The letter is so long winded and almost 'scary' so that they blind you with words and you end up just paying it. Is that not the case?

yes it is. There is a case in the Supreme Court in London. This says they are legal

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2015-0116.html

I am sorry but does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
after all this - I either contest it or pay it, but not ignore it?
Can I contest it and also pay the original £40 and hope it goes away or do I have to pay the whole amount?

You can't ignore it.

Yes you can contest but sadly it will either be all or nothing.
Does that clarify?